1. DOES NICTA IMPOSE ANY REGULATORY REQUIREMENTS ON ICT EQUIPMENT/APPARATUS?
Pursuant to section 30 of the NICT Radio Spectrum Regulation, 2010, any ICT equipment/products intended for sale and/or use in Papua New Guinea needs to comply with NICTA’s technical requirements which are outlined in various technical Standards and Specifications.
Equipment dealers who intent to sell ICT equipment for use in Papua New Guinea must first obtain a Radio Dealers Licence from NICTA.
2. WHO CAN APPLY FOR RADIO DEALERS LICENCE?
Importers, distributors and retailers including radio communications operators intending to import or currently importing any regulated apparatus to deal in, or let on hire or loan, or repair or adjust, sell or offer or possess for sale shall obtain a Radio Dealers Licence from NICTA.
3. WHICH EQUIPMENT NEED TYPE APPROVAL?
All ICT Apparatus/equipment which connects directly to a ICT network and/or transmits radio waves is subject to NICTA’s type approval requirements.
4. WHO CAN APPLY FOR TYPE APPROVAL?
Any of the following may apply;
- Local and international manufactures
- Authorized Importers
- Licensed Operators
5. WHAT ARE THE FEES FOR TYPE APPROVAL?
For each application, a non-refundable type approval application fee of K150.00 shall be paid at the time of submission of the application.
Examination fee of K150.00 per hour will be charged for each equipment.
Re-examination fee is K75.00/h will be charged for any equipment that requires re-examination.
NICTA shall inform the applicant if the device proposed to be type approved requires examination or re-examination.
6. HOW MANY TEST SAMPLES ARE NEEDED?
Only one test sample shall be presented to NICTA upon request, for the Type approval and inspection.
7. SHOULD FOREIGN COMPANIES OR MANUFACTURERS SEND AND RECEIVE THEIR APPLICATION PAPER FOR TYPE APPROVAL?
If they have a local office in PNG, that local office should apply on behalf of the company or manufacturer. If they don’t have a local office, they can send their applications to email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The application form is available at: Application Forms
8. HOW LONG DOES THE TYPE APPROVAL PROCESS TAKE?
An application that is fully completed and meets all the requirements will be processed within minimum of 3 and maximum 10 working days upon receipt by NICTA.
9. CAN I BRING ICT EQUIPMENT FOR PERSONAL USE?
Yes, you can bring for personal use but it must not affect public network and some of them need approval from NICTA. It is better to declare the equipment to NICTA for record and registration purposes.
10. HOW CAN YOUR ‘STANDARDS’ DOCUMENTS BE OBTAINED?
NICTA publishes technical specifications with which ICT equipment shall comply. Some technical standards and specifications are listed in the Type Approval Guideline Instrument. In the absence of a suitable relevant specification, NICTA may specify technical requirements on a case-by case basis. Please refer to Type Approval Guideline.
11. TYPE APPROVAL PROCEDURE
Equipment submitted for testing should be submitted to:
Type Approval Section
Licensing and Enforcement Department
PO Box 8227, Boroko, National Capital District
Papua New Guinea
The equipment should be accompanied by the following;
- A completed Application form (TT100)
- The appropriate applicable fee
- An operating and service manual for the equipment.